Sun Wah BBQ has concluded another successful BYO Turkey Event thanks to all its wonderful patrons. In this limited holiday event, the restaurant prepares and roasts turkeys in a manner similar to our Hong Kong Style Roast Duck with additional aromatics for the insides like our bean paste, house-blended 5-spice, cilantro, shallots and ginger…
Sun Wah BBQ was open Thanksgiving Thursday, November 23, 2023 with alotted pick-up slots starting at 9:00am and continuing until 4:30pm. Eager patrons began inquiring about the event as early as OCTOBER! We aimed for a 100 turkey limit (combined total) to achieve smooth operations throughout this day.
How do I submit my own turkey?
The BYO Turkey Event for 2023 has finished for Thanksgiving. Submissions already reached full capacity in the 2nd week of November. Always keep watching our Scheduled Events page to catch updates and announcements for the next BYO event.
How do I obtain a restaurant-supplied turkey?
The BYO Turkey Event for 2023 has finished for Thanksgiving. All restaurant-supplied turkeys have been sold & claimed. Always keep watching our Scheduled Events page to catch updates and announcements for the next BYO event.
What’s in store?
Sun Wah BBQ will be exceptionally busy throughout our limited Thanksgiving hours. The rear kitchen will be at full throttle creating entrees for carry-out and dine-in. Every available roasting chamber will be creating our signature Chinese BBQ items in addition to the turkeys. The front kitchen will be keeping up with noodle soup & congee orders. The carry-out counter will be orchestrating orders and expediting take-outs. Even the bar area will be entertaining walk-in patrons who didn’t follow our advice about advanced reservations.
For BYO Turkey patrons, arrive around your designated pick-up time and look for the area set aside for the BYO event. Identify yourself and pay for any remaining balance. The freshly roasted turkey should be waiting for you, but please be amenable to delays during certain time slots. We will be doing everything we can to minimize delays. The turkey will be packed in a transport box to prevent it from rolling around inside your vehicle. A pint of au jus gravy from the roasted drippings will accompany each turkey. Additional pints are availble for $8. All turkeys are sent out whole so that carving can take place at home.
Turkey Reheating Instructions
BYO and supplied turkeys are ready to eat throughout this day. If reheating is desired:
- Preheat a conventional oven to 375ºF (190ºC)
- Remove turkey completely from the transport box and place on a roasting pan
- Roast in oven for no more than 30-45 minutes. Do not overcook!
- Remove from oven and let turkey rest for 5 minutes before carving
Beyond the turkey
Many BYO patrons will be ordering additional menu items for a full-fledged feast. In anticipation of a packed Thursday, consider placing carry-out orders by no later than Tuesday, November 22nd to indicate it’s being picked up on Thanksgiving. It’s likely that more than one guest will have a craving for Beef Chow Fun, Yang Chow Fried Rice, Honey-Pepper Short Ribs, Baby Bok Choy, Hot-Sour Soup, Egg Rolls or Steamed Buns.
Duck Reheating Instructions
For those who’ve also added our off-menu Duck Dinner to the pick-up order, we suggest the following reheating instructions
- Preheat conventional oven to 375ºF (190ºC)
- Remove intact (unsliced) duck from aluminum tray and place in a roasting pan. If the duck has been sliced, heat it in the original tray with the foil cover in place.
- Roast the unsliced duck for 20-25 minutes in that roasting pan. For a sliced duck in a covered tray, roast for only 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let duck rest before undergoing any additional carving.
- For a crispier skin, baste the exterior of an unsliced duck with a scalding hot light oil (vegetable or corn oil). DO NOT use heavy oils like olive oil. Take the necessary precautions when dealing with hot oils.
Reheating Steamed Buns (Gwa Bao)
For our Steamed Buns accompanying the Beijing Duck Dinner, they would normally be prepared in a dedicated steamer for several minutes. For those without such access, the following microwave method also works:
- Place buns on a microwave-safe plate
- Dampen a paper towel with water and drape over the buns.
- Place in the microwave at it’s high setting for 15 seconds.
- When complete, remove paper towel and serve only after it has cooled enough to handle.